The High Country offers wonderful experiences for all ages and kids are treated with endless options for fun and adventure! High Country Kids can join the many programs on offer in the Alpine Resorts and National Park Ranger activities. There’s gold panning, horse riding, fishing in trout farms or mountain streams and lakes, snow sports/snow play, bike riding and easy bushwalks for families.  Most resorts also have child care facilities offering fun days for kids.

Here we’ve compiled some colouring pages and activities kids can have printed and do at home or take with you on your escape to the High Country.  More info on National Park operated activities are included below.  Printable pdf files are below each example image.  Colouring & Activity Pages credited with ‘Crayola 2020’ used with permission of Crayola Australia.  Word searches and the colouring pages with matching photo are created by us.

Parks Victoria also have a lot of information for kids exploring out in nature.  Junior Rangers can join in the many Ranger Guided Activities during school holidays or discover the variety of activity sheets on the Make & Do page for kids to have fun at home, in their own backyard or local suburban parks and out in our National Parks.  Our favourite of these, created by Parks Victoria, can be found here: Junior Rangers Alpine Activity Book

The NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service has created Wilderquest.  This is an online program (website & app) where kids can learn about nature through playing games and discovering fun facts, a perfect introduction to our National Parks prior to getting out and exploring them.  There’s also info about Ranger Guided Tours & Activities for kids, held throughout various National Parks during school holidays. 

Information on ACT Parks can be found here.

Prospecting for gold and gemstones is a fun activity that’s usually done with gold pans or metal detectors.  These days, over 160 years since gold was first discovered in many parts of the High Country, prospecting can still bring exciting rewards.  In Victoria, a permit called a Miner’s Right, is required for adults and costs less than a few dollars a year.  Children under 18 don’t need a Miner’s Right if they’re accompanied by an adult holding a Miner’s Right.  Further info can be found here.  In NSW prospecting is generally not allowed in National Parks but in areas of State Forests it is permitted with more info found here.